Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Winter Wonderland

We've had some interesting weather lately. Snow. Lots of snow. I love it, I want more. I see snow coming down, and I long for the good old days when I could grab my skis and chase down the nearest bus to the slopes.

Unfortunately, I live in the desert now, and, well, this city just is not prepared. Yeah, we got a lot, but really not enough to warrant closing down the schools for an entire week (which they did).

We are the only people on the block who own a snowshovel. I know this, because people came over to introduce themselves and put their name down on the waiting list for ours.

Anyway, I got to spend a lot of time over my winter vacation playing outside with The Boy. We made snowmen, and I taught him how to make snow angels, and we did a lot of sledding, etc.

And then I got the great idea to pick him up and toss him, butt first. The snowbank erupted into a misty cloud with a satisfying "wumpf" ... and then all was still. Uh oh. Did I break The Boy's butt? Is he going to one day be laying on a couch explaining an irrational fear of powder.

I did what any father would have: I looked around to make sure The Wife hadn't seen, and then asserted my control of the situation with a solid "Uhhmmm...G?"

Well, it turned out that it was the single most exciting thing of his young life. And he wanted to go again...for the rest of the afternoon. At some point, daddy simply could no longer lift The Boy, and we had to stop. And that's when he cried.

No comments: