Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Finally, The Big One

We're still in the process of potty training. When I say WE, I think I mean that The Wife and I are actually learning far more than The Boy is. We have gotten surprisingly good at judging the degree to which others need to go. I catch myself doing it at work.

"Tony, do you need to go to the bathroom?"
"Dude!"
"Oh, sorry, man. Habit. You go, I'll wait here."

Well, we finally found our chance. We knew the boy hadn't poo'd in a while, and there were hints that one might just be coming on. Aha! "G, come on, let's go potty real quick."

I managed to get him in there and sit him down...and then came the anxious waiting. Wait. Wait. Hmm...might as well floss while I wait. "No no, you sit there and just relax." Hmm, freshly flossed, I could get a good evening brush in. "It's ok, we're not in any hurry, keep sitting there." Teeth are feeling pretty good. Mouthwash? Why not. "No, it's ok, you just sit." Swish swish spit. Ahhh...refreshing.

And then:
"Daddy, I don't have to poo." Oh, man, just chill.
"Ok, that's fine. No pressure. Just relax." This isn't going to happen.
"But I don't want to sit. I want to play." Dang, ok, I guess I can give up.
"I don't ha- HARRRRUGH. I- HEEEYAAARGHHH. WHOOOAGHHHHHHH." Plop. YES!

Ok, so only a parent could be proud. Some more than others. The Wife came running in with hugs and M&Ms. At least she didn't take a picture.

No comments: